About This Project:
One of my favorite crafts is mixed media collage. Mixed Media collage allows me to stretch my artistic limits. It includes both paint and glue techniques to create unique experiments in texture and depth. It allows artists to incorporate found objects, to use photos and/or photocopied images, rubber stamps & almost anything you can imagine. In a way it’s much like scrapbooking except there is no need to fuss over using strictly archival quality items in your art. In this mixed media collage project I focus on simplicity and playfulness. The art canvas is a small 6×6 area. The theme is perfect as Easter Decor, for a child’s play room or the storybook reading room at the library. It’s all about fun, texture and imagination.
The Supplies You’ll Need
- 1 sheet of 6×6 inch patterned scrapbook paper
- 1 sheet of 5.25×5.25 inch patterned scrapbook paper
- 1 sheet of 4×4 inch script writing (optional) patterned scrapbook paper
- 1 print of Alice In Wonderland’s white rabbit or other image OR
- White Rabbit Mixed Media Collage Kit Download
- and 6×6 Mat Board
- shaped chipboard embellishments
- small hanging tags
- miscellaneous lace or sequined fabrics
- miscellaneous yarns & fibers
- Walnut Ink Stamp Pad
Step by Step Instructions:
- cut white rabbit image from paper
- using walnut ink stamp pad ink edges of image (optional)
- using walnut inks stamp pad ink edges of all papers & tags
- coat the 6×6 mat board with a thin layer of yes paste
- cover with 6×6 sheet of patterned scrapbook papers and let dry
- cover the back of 5.25×5.25 sheet of patterned paper with yes paste
- center and glue to mat board
- repeat steps 3 and 4 with last sheet of patterned paper
- cover the back of white rabbit image with a thin layer of yes paste or matte gel medium
- glue to mat board and let dry
- cover entire surface of image with a thin layer of matte gel medium
- paint chipboard embellishments with gold paint
- tie small hanging tag around chipboard
- using a Matte Super Heavy Gel Medium attach shaped chipboard embellishments and let dry
- using a Matte Gel Medium attach miscellaneous yarns & fibers to mat board and let dry
- using a Matte Super Heavy Gel Medium attach miscellaneous lace or sequined fabrics over yarns and fibers and let dry
You Might Also Like:
A QUICK NOTE: Like so many craftspeople I enjoy experimenting with many different crafting ideas & techniques. And while that’s a lot of fun, I realize your next project may be for a gift or to sell on sites like Etsy. Since making strong long lasting items is the best way to impress family, friends & clients I wanted to give you an opportunity to learn from top instructors in this crafting field.
And while I may be compensated if you choose to purchase any of the class recommendations, I’ve only recommended these particular classes because I believe you will enjoy them and they will help you get better results with your crafting.
Learn to use gesso, acrylic paint and watercolors to infuse your paper craft projects with eye-catching texture and color! Have fun with paints and stencils, experiment with washes, work with resists and build layer upon layer of texture into your art.
Learn advanced gift wrapping techniques, book folding, greeting & pop up cards. Make 3D flowers, party and entertaining items as well as home decor items. Turn everyday materials into one of a kind art.